Thursday, April 21, 2005

an L.A. moment in NYC

So I was gone for about a week on vacation in New York with a friend of mine from work. Boy do I miss not having summer vacation!

Anyway, New York was fun - highlight of my trip was seeing Mariah Carey, Alec Baldwin, Jessica Lange, and Christian Slater all in one day (although sitting in front of Carrie's stoop from Sex and the City was pretty cool too). I didn't think I'd be as star struck as I actually was since I'm from L.A. and all, but I was!

Mariah was performing in Times Square that morning - that was kind of cool. And we went to see the Glass Menagerie that night (very good seats by the way - 11th row center, thanks to the tkts booth down in lower Manhattan), starring Jessica Lange and Christian Slater (he was one of the reasons why we went to go see it. He was actually shorter than we pictured him to be). During intermission we noticed Alec Baldwin sitting in the row in front of us (we actually had better seats than he did though cuz his seats were on the far right end of the row - hehe). He looked kind of old an frumpy with huge glasses, but he was with a young Asian woman, probably about half his age - she was pretty. My friend jokingly asked "How do we become one of those Asian girls?" No, really how do we? haha. As the play ended, Jessica Lange went up on stage asking for donations to support something about theater. We weren't really paying attention since were staring at Alec Baldwin to see where he was going. Lone and behold, as we were leaving, he and his woman were standing right behind me (his arm touched my back). I turned around and just smiled and so did my friend. No words, just a smile, and we proceeded to walk out. As we were walking out, Christian Slater was standing at the door, about six inches away from us, collecting donations in a bucket. He smiled at us and we both smiled back. And we just walked out - speechless. We looked like two cheap Asian asses cuz we had no money to donate and we didn't even have the guts to say anything to him. But as we left, we saw to girls running in from outside of the theater screaming with a camera to take a picture with him. We left thinking "Thank God we didn't do that." We didn't want to be those pesky girls bugging them for authographs and pictures because they probably have to deal with that all the time. We wanted to look calm and collected, like it was no big deal when it kind of was to us. So we left excited, telling each other what we should have said to Alec Baldwin and Christian Slater, well, mostly Christian Slater - how he was great in the play, but how we was even better in Untamed Heart...LOL. We told each other about how we thought he was totally looking at us in the audience during the play (he probably really wasn't looking at either of us at all). It felt like an L.A. moment, but it was one of those moments that I'm glad I got to share with someone else, especially with one of my friends who was just as excited as I was.

No comments: