Monday, April 25, 2005

a really close call

We went to a co-worker's birthday bash at an 18 and over club in Irvine (she was turning 26, and none of her friends were under age, but this was one of the only places in the city that she could find with a guest list option). I haven't been to an 18 and over place in a long time. We went in feeling old, especially with all these girls in the bathroom with "X's" marked on each hand, a symbol for the bartenders to know who was under age. We met my co-workers friends, and my roommates and I drank and danced all night like we haven't drank and danced in long time. It was fun - my roommates and I left around 1:30 in the morning, telling each other how many drinks we thought we've had and who we talked to and danced with that night.

We woke up the next morning a little tired but decided to go to a Habit for Humanity workshop we had planned on going to anyway. On our way back, I got a call from my co-worker. She was at the hospital and said that there was a shooting at the club last night. I was in shock. She was sitting at the hospital covered in blood. Her boyfriend got shot - everyone said he was really lucky. The bullet went in his head (he has four inches of stitches) and made a u-turn, coming back out through the top of his ear. I'd say pretty lucky alright...someone was definitely watching over him that night. From what I heard, he's going to be alright, thank God. The security guard at the club though, wasn't so lucky. He was shot in the chest and had died that morning. I never thought something like this would happen to anyone I would know, especially in the city of Irvine, one of the safest cities in the United States. And you would think they would have already caught the people who did this, but they haven't yet even though there were quite a few witnesses.

My friends all said we were really lucky we left a little early that night. I'd have to say the same. Apparently this had all happened about 10-15 minutes after we had left...someone was definitely watching over us that night as well.

No comments: