Wednesday, April 11, 2007

old people are so cute!

There's this old man I work with - he's Hispanic, kind of short, wears glasses, and has a slight tummy. He can barely speak English, but he says cute funny things like "I like happy people." I had lunch with him one day, and his wife packed him his lunch but he didn't know what she had packed for him. When he unpacked his lunch, he slowly opened up a foil-wrapped package to reveal a sandwich to which he let out a happy "ooo!" He then opened up his tupperware to reveal some fruit, which he then a gave an "ahhh!" to. It was so endearing. This is the same man who pulled my co-worker aside and told her, "Hey, I have a secret. Don't tell anybody ok? It's Friday!" and then he laughs and says "Shhh" with a smile.

There is another old guy I work with - I describe him as a chubbier version of Mr. Miyagi. He's very sarcastic and when he was eating lunch one day at this diner, an older couple came up to him and asked him for his autograph, thinking he was actually Pat Morita (the guy who played Mr. Miyagi), so he said, "Ok" and signed their napkin...but he signed his own name, and when the couple saw it, they were surprised to see that they had made a mistake.

And then there's this little skinny old Russian man with his fur-collared coat and cute little hat, who passes by our store every once in awhile and waves to my other older co-worker. His wave is not just one of those one-handed waves; It's one of those two-handed waves, like how little kids sometimes do. My older co-worker then waves back and gives him one of those army salutes with the straight posture and everything. My co-worker once saw the two old men talking with each other and she asked my older co-worker what they were talking about, and he said "I don't know. He was talking to me in Russian and I didn't understand him, so I replied in Chinese."

Things like this bring a smile to my face but it reminds of how much I miss having old cute people around.

No comments: