Wednesday, May 11, 2005

the 7th wheel

I was talking with one of my friends today about our "field trip" this weekend to the IMAX theater and science museum. Our friend decided to do a "remember when we were in elementary school..." day, hence the IMAX and the museum but sans the sack lunches.

Turns out everyone who's going has a "partner" or significant other whom they plan on bringing along on the trip. Let's see...three couples and single ole me...hmmm...that sounds fun! They assure me that it'll be fine, that it won't be weird or awkward cuz I've hung out with them before, which is true, but not with all three couples at the same time. There were always other single people there, so it was fine. They think I'm silly for not wanting to go because of this, but think about it - wouldn't you feel a little awkward? Like you're the 5th wheel, but in this case, a 7th? Don't get me wrong - I like all of them, but being around a lot of couples at the same time is just not my thing. The thing is, I don't want them to feel weird around me because they know I feel this way. So it's kind of weird...

But sometimes I feel like they don't understand. They've all been in really long relationships. I would say they're the kind of relationships where you know there's marriage in the future for them all. I on the other hand, have never been a long term relationship or even a short one for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem being single; I kind of enjoy it - being able to do things on my own whenever I want with whomever I want, getting alone time when I need it, and being able to check out hot guys whenever they're around without feeling guilty. But sometimes I just wish I had that special someone as well. And there's always those moments where you wish someone were there. So it's kind of hard for me sometimes to be around all these happy couples (and yes, if I sound bitter, maybe I am a little and I admit it). Sometimes being around a lot of people (especially when they're all couples) can make you feel lonlier than just being around a few people. I know that sounds strange, but I guess you had to have had that feeling before to know exactly what I mean.

No comments: