Saturday, April 15, 2006

don't make other people feel stupid, stupid!

I took my mom to a Chinese grocery store the other day and while checking out, my mom asked the bag boy if he could use paper bags. Grant it, my mom's English isn't so great, so "paper bag" ended up sounding like "papper beg." But still, if I were the bag boy who spoke perfect English, I could've made it out considering all he was doing was bagging groceries. My mom repeated it twice, so the cashier finally repeated it to him, but it sounded almost exactly like what my mom had said, but he got it this time. So the bag boy decides to say in Cantonese to the cashier, "I couldn't understand what she was saying," and laughed. I guess he didn't know that my mom understands Cantonese, along with Mandarin, Toi San, Burmese, and English. So my mom repeated it to me, saying in Toi San, "Oh did you hear what he said? He said...(and she repeated what he had said in Cantonese)" loud enough so that he could hear. I just kinda smirked and I kinda hoped he felt stupid after he made my mom feel stupid. I'm just proud that my mom said something and I'm proud that she knows how to understand and speak five languages fluently, even though her English isn't perfect, but I give her a lot of credit.

1 comment:

tatertot said...

go mom!