Sunday, April 23, 2006

that

Christianity - it's one of those topics I don't like discussing with people, especially people who are Christian. We always tend to have different views on things and the conversations always conclude with the fact that we both just have different opinions. I was never really a religious person, so when my friend asked me to attend her bastism today, I didn't really want to go at first, but decided that as a friend, I had no reason not to attend, so I went to support her because it was an important event in her life. It's not that I've never been exposed to church or anything; I've attended church, particpated in the stations of the cross, and sang church songs for eight years of my life at a Catholic school, but Catholicism and Christianity are two different religions, both which I respectfully chose not to join.

I have my share of Christian friends and they're really nice people, but it just bugged me a little that some of them always did the whole "Hey, you want to come hang out with me and my friends?" thing, and it turns out to be a church event or gathering. I'm not big on the conversion factor or when people try to push their views on me. I'm one of those people who have my own views and stick with them because I'm always sure in what I believe in. It's hard to bring me into a religion where I don't agree with every aspect of it. It's not to say that I don't repect it; just don't push it on me when I don't ask for it.

But at the baptism today, it was nice. They all sang songs in harmony, their voices in unison. People shared very personal stories about themselves and I even teared up when my friend made her testimonial. They were all heartfelt speeches, each giving a piece of themsleves to everyone there today and each having experienced at least one life changing event in their lives. After hearing everyone speak, I realized that some people just need that in their lives, that faith, that something to believe in, that religion that keeps them going. And I totally respect that, but I came to the conclusion that I'm one of those people where all I need is to know that I do have faith and I do believe in God, and as long as God knows that, that's all that should matter no matter what anyone else thinks or believes.

No comments: